Thursday, 9 February 2017

Binti




Story time!

3 years ago when I started applying for universities and the UK Visa, I made the gaffe of putting Binti at the beginning of my surname instead of the end of my forename, unable to foresee the repercussions of my action. So yeah, in other words, my last name is effectively Binti Hasbullah. 

If only I knew what kind of domino effect that one little seemingly harmless action can set off....

I'll tell you about one fragment of the domino effect.

There's this consultant at the hospital I'm currently attached to who calls me Binti. 

Today, he decided to give me a nickname.

He called me Bin.

That's right, guys. I'm no longer Shahirah. Uh please, Shahirah is so yesterday. I'm a brand new person today. Allow me to reintroduce myself.




You have no idea how agonising it was to refrain myself from laughing in front of him & the patient.

PS: The word bin and binti can be translated as 'son of' and 'daughter of' respectively. They originate from the Arabic word ibn which is used to indicate a person's heritage essentially. Ibn Sina (known in the Western world as Avicenna), for example, literally means 'son of Sina'. So calling me Binti is equivalent to calling me Daughter Of. 

Not only is it funny, it makes no sense, hahaha.

And calling me Bin just turns me into a male....... HAHA.

Take it from me, guys, don't put bin/binti in your last name!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment