Monday, 22 August 2016

20. Supermarket



Re : Writing Challenge

-----

I was in my default KDrama-watching position, feeling comfortable, at home, at peace, like a baby who knows better to stay curled up in the uterus where nothing can hurt me than to be born into the disappointing world. Laptop on (in?? Grammar sunbae, help me) my lap, TV right in front me. I wanted to finish Sungkyunkwan Scandal and watch Lee Chong Wei's quarter-finals men singles badminton Olympic match at the same time. Pretty ambitious of me, considering that I'm the worst multitasker to walk the face of the earth, I can't even text while talking to someone. But, a wise man once said,

"ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY CHOOSE BETWEEN PARK MIN YOUNG AND LEE CHONG WEI"

That was one of the scanty times I actually had my life figured out - I was going to finish Sungkyunkwan Scandal and I was going to see Lee Chong Wei win - what else could go wrong?

Oh, nothing, you know, just Mama nonchalantly asking ordering me to run an ad hoc errand at the supermarket. She only needed one thing, ONE THING, but she needed it now. You see, when matters of filial piety are involved, Park Min Young & Lee Chong Wei are automatically out of the equation.

I let out a heavy sigh, grabbed the car keys, and before long I found myself in the aisle of Giant (a supermarket we have in Malaysia), the rows of shelves before my very eyes. For some reason I happened to be standing in the chocolate aisle, don't ask me why, the thing that Mama asked for wasn't even chocolates, I don't even eat chocolates anymore.

SO WHY WAS I THERE? I felt out of place, like I didn't belong there, it didn't make sense to be there, but for some reason my lower limbs had a mind of their own and dragged me there.

And then, this happened :



That's right, the speaker blasted the OST of my summer break, aka free karaoke session in the supermarket!!!!!!!! I felt like I was home, like I belonged. 

I'd like to think that this is the silver lining that comes with performing my daughter duties, even if it means forgoing my being a KDrama & badminton enthusiast. In Islam, parents are elevated to a very high status, so as children, we're obliged to honour them & treat them with respect. Disobeying parents is considered a great sin, one for which Allah sets a severe punishment, so Allah asks of us to be kind to our parents. Take heed of Allah's words, He'll reward you in ways you can't even imagine, like idk your favourite song playing in the supermarket??

So guys, listen to your parents. Even when they make you come all the way downstairs to get the TV remote control that's literally just inches away from them, or when they make you buy something from the supermarket only to have you refrigerate it because oh actually, they need it for the next day.




No comments:

Post a Comment