Monday, 18 July 2016

My Birthday



I don't know about you but I'm feeling

22!



Sorry, but wait no, actually, I'm not really sorry. I waited months just to use that photo because Baekhyun & Chanyeol are absurdly adorable, I can't resist.

But what I am actually sorry about is the title of this blogpost. Can I be any more skema?? I oso dono, sometimes I think my low is already the lowest but then I surprise myself. Oh mak kau.

So alhamdulillah I turned another year older, hopefully wiser and all-around better. I'll write about my thoughts & sentiments this year and put them in comparison to those of last year's birthday and see how I've changed as a person and if I'm happy with the shape that I've morphed myself into over the year, but that's one entire post on its own (subject to my rajinness). In this post, the limelight belongs to my family & friends for making me feel exceptionally happy on my birthday.

The night before my birthday, my family took me to Garden Seafood for dinner. It's one of my most favourite places to eat at, and it's a 1-hour drive away but they're well aware of how fond I am of Garden Seafood's honey sotong (one of the things I consider worldly pleasures, apart from roti canai), so I was really touched at the thoughtfulness of their willing to drive all the way there just to satiate my craving. It wasn't even my birthday yet but I was already so jovial when the waiter came & carried a plate of golden honey sotong. As the plate descended on our table I felt like there was a repertoire of Russian opera playing in the background and there's light shining on the angelic honey sotong. Over kan, I know.

Honey sotong in all its golden glory



You might puke at this but it's not just honey sotong okay. It's an emblem of my A Level days in KY. So many memories in that one plate of pure goodness. A part of me always misses KY, but that night, the rindu was intensified to a greater degree. Any KY people here? Group hug!! But anyway, the restaurant is in Tanjung Malim, and if any of you ever find yourself in that area and would like to know how heaven tastes like, this could be the closest candidate (cewah, haha) and the restaurant looks like this from the outside :

The raindrops made it even more nostalgic. Not helping at all, raindrops!! Since I'm just a born histrionic, I just had to feel like I was in a heartbreaking music video




At midnight I was no longer human, I took my other form of self which was a saggy, sappy emotional ball of mush soaked in tears. 

Because some people clearly went out of their ways just to give me the most heartfelt birthday wishes. I love writing, I love words, and I think that much you already know from my blog, but a new fact about me is that it's a whole different kind of love that I have for the words that are specially crafted for me and out of sheer sincerity. Sure, you can argue that sincerity is a question of heart and no one really knows if one is truly sincere but God, but I know my people, and there was nothing apocryphal in their birthday wishes for me.

Mina was the first one to break down my flimsy wall. She's such a darling sweetheart that girl and she even made a gif for me as a birthday gift (wow wow that wordplay)!! 

Isn't this cute?! That's a rhetorical question; of course it's cute!


And then there was Almira's wish. And then my sister's. And then Amie's. And then Atika's. And then everything was too inundating so I...

Slept.

That's the answer to everything, right? Sleep. Too tired? Sleep. Too sad? Sleep. Too sleepy as a result of oversleeping? Sleep some more, sleepyhead.

I woke up to even more birthday wishes and even fuller heart. It's like everyone was in this huge conspiracy that I didn't know about and their aims were to 1) get me to cry 10 full KDramas' worth of tears in one day and 2) make my heart swell so it shows up as cardiomegaly on xray. 

There are two types of people that I somehow got myself acquainted with :

People who made the effort to wish me in Korean, be it in romanised or Hangul writing. So touching and thoughtful!! I hope I made it clear to them that I really, really appreciate that!!! They made me feel like I'm one step closer to become a fully fledged Korean hahaha. Some of them even hope my wish of meeting Sehun & Ji Chang Wook in real life come to reality.

And then, on the other hand, there's the people whose birthday wishes were somewhere along the line of "You're 22 time to wake up & stop obsessing over Ji Chang Wook and Sehun. Tak realistik langsung" hahaha kurang asam. Thanks for the support. 

Keyla called me and we talked for a bit. I kept cracking jokes, she asked me to stop fooling around because I'm 22 and it's high time that I act all solemn and adult-ish. I quickly changed the topic, "So macam mana keadaan politik kat sana?", and then we both laughed before tracing our steps back to our stupid jokes. I wish she's here, though, I really miss having her around! But she's coming back soon insyaAllah so I just need to count the days leading up to her arrival!!

Atika told me that she had a catheterisation procedure to fill up her clinical logbook on that day, so she had to be at the hospital in JB. So I promised her I'll see her next week to duly celebrate our birthdays (hers was on the 15th! How cool is it that Amie's, Atika's, and my birthdays are all so close together?! COOL KAN! Come to think of it, a lot of my favourite people were born in July! Aw yes July babies stick together, come group hug). She was telling me on Whatsapp about a digital rectal examination that she performed the other day and then suddenly...

she showed up in front of my house.

How did she get from someone's anus to my house?!?!

That girl lied to me!!! She had the nerve to lie to me!!! She does this every year and I still fall for her white lies ugh. Mama cooked up a storm for lunch so we had some people over for lunch. Amie also came. We cut the cake, which had all three of our names on it hehe.






Afterwards, I drove Atika to Emil's open house, and at the very last minute decided to join the open house because Emil forced me to. Haha.



I am always thirdwheeling these two. Look at us all in grey hahaha




Atika was already leaving to JB, so I took her into one final embrace before telling her that I'll definitely see her again next weekend. 

For dinner, I was abducted.

My world was absolute pitch black darkness thanks to a blindfold, and I was put in the shotgun of a car with idk who else!! I had no idea who was driving, who was in the backseat, heck I didn't even know whose car it was. I felt all around me and the only thing I could conclude was that it was not Mama's car, nor was it Ayah's car. That was all. I can't believe I couldn't figure out anything else, what a shame to Signal, tetiba.

And then someone in the backseat played some really ghastly voice recordings right next to my ear. My reflex? I screamed lah of course, and then I wanted to recite Yasin but I don't memorise the whole surah by heart so I ended up saying Bismillah like 917357 times. I was terrified.

After gaining enough strength to mutter actual, coherent words, I tried negotiating with the driver to turn on the radio because it was too quiet and I was bored out of my mind. It worked!!! I guess I'm tactful huh. And then I took it one step further, I tried asking if it's possible to play some Korean songs to soothe my heart




but no. The driver decided to stick with the radio and there were only Eid/Raya songs on the radio. 

And then they manoeuvred me out of the car and to my seat at the restaurant and I had to wait for like 5 more minutes before the blindfold was finally taken off of my eyes

And then there they were, lo and behold, all my favourite faces!!!!!

Shaza! Yop! Amie! Almira! Aliff! Amir! Nurul Nadira! Emil!

And the biggest plot twist - Atika!!! She lied for the second time!!! She said she was leaving to JB earlier but she lied, again!! And I believed her, again!!! UGH. 

And guess where we were at?

WILLIAMS, KELANA JAYA!!!!!

Another one of my most favourite places to eat at!! I truly, really did not see it coming! At all. I wanted to cry (what else is new) but I held myself back and told myself not to ruin the night with tears. Everything was a bit awkward at first because there was my high school Gang, and then Atika my best friend from MRSM, and then Shaza my soulmate & Yop. They were all people whom I hold very close to my heart but people who aren't from the same clique so I was worried if everyone wouldn't enjoy themselves fully. I felt like I'm responsible to make sure that everyone adjusts well to each other and can borak and laugh the night away, because the only reason they were all gathered there was my birthday, so I didn't want to be held accountable if they're not having a good night out. If anything, I wanted the night to be a good memory not just for me but for everyone else. Hahaha. But my worries proved to be futile because everyone got to know each other and everyone started talking and I was soo, sooooo happy because... you know, they won't get to say "Hey remember your birthday last year? Bosan gila doh kau ingat tak?" on my birthday next year.

Shaza & Yop initially just wanted to stay only for a bit for drinks but they ended up staying till the very end. Atika & Emil left early because Atika had to go back to JB (for real this time, she sent me photos as evidence). We ate a lot!! I made them try my ultimate favourite from Williams which is naan cheese caramel (!!!!) (no photo of it, sorry!). I'm not sure if they loved it at least half as much as I do but they ended up ordering 6 more to take away, so hehehe.

You're probably wondering if there's any story or any significance to naan cheese caramel, like honey sotong. Actually, there's isn't any. It's just a naan cheese caramel. That's all there is to it. It's sinfully scrumptious, sooo sinful that the sin gets cancelled out and inversed; it's a sin if you have not tried it. Okay no lah I won't go as far as coining the term 'sin' but you get my point, no? If you don't get my point then we need to talk.

I felt so bad because it's such an un-fancy place so the photos turned out ugly but it's okay I hope everyone loved the food there and can agree with me that Williams' naan cheese caramel is the BEST. Hehe



The Gang

I had an episode of premature mid life crisis when Shaza showed me the Snapchat filters, because I don't use Snapchat haha


With Atika the liar before she left to JB (for real) haha

Amie & Almira, the two masterminds behind my abduction but haih love them soooo much! They've been secretly spending a lot of time together WITHOUT ME to prepare for my birthday surprise, I'm still in the limbo between being jealous and appreciated haha



They got me the loveliest presents!!!

Amie & Almira made me this really, really cute (but embarrassing) scrapbook that was laden with my photos of the MySpace era!!! Oh my God. I can't believe they logged into their MySpace just to find these photos of my zaman jahiliah! I thought I've deleted my MySpace (and therefore set all proofs of my past ugliness into oblivion) but clearly I was wrong...... Everyone, if you haven't deleted your MySpace, run. Run for your dear life because the bastards that you have as friends are probably coming after you.

Shaza got me a bunch of stuff, one of them even matches my phone cover without her knowing beforehand. I mean, what are the odds!! It's like one of the 346362826 times that the universe was telling us that we're indeed soulmates. Okay boss we got it the first time, thank you!! :B

Atika got me a medical book, she said it's to show that she supports me to pursue my dreams hahaha, but her letter inside was the one that made me cry.

Amir & Nurul Nadira gifted me chocolates (made me wonder if everyone knows that I'm a severe chocoholic? Haha).

A pair of comfy shoes from my little sister, because I've been looking for a good, reliable pair to sustain me through long hours in the hospital come clinical year.

My little brother bought a long tshirt that I immediately wore.

A bracelet from my parents!

Mina gave me yet another present, which is EXO's latest album (cue Chen's scream)!!!!

I also asked the Gang for selfies as birthday presents because I'm mengada. I thought I was getting third degree burns from the amount of tease that I suffered because of my selfie request haha but we had a good laugh about it on the group. Even though not everyone could submit to my humble little request (hmph >:( ), most of them did so I'm a happy birthday girl hehehe. I know not everyone was able to be physically present on my birthday, but I'm a selfish prick and I wanted something to assure me that they're there, somewhere, and I wanted to trick myself into believing that they're here next to me, hence the selfies. It's a cheap trick, but it works, for me at least. Hehe.












You know what they say, the world does not revolve around me, but I felt special and loved and appreciated and celebrated on my birthday, so allow me to just bask in the attention ok please kasi chan hahaha. There are just so many people to thank for the amount of love I was receiving. Above all, thank you God, for bringing these people into my life. I pray that you grant them an abundance of rewards and place them in Your paradise, because I can never repay everything they've done for me! I've said this before and I'll say this again : friends are the family you choose, and I'm happy with my choices :) Alhamdulillah.




4 comments:

  1. hmm tapi kitorang bastards yg kau sayang kan ? hihihi <3333 love you hun hope you enjoyed your birthday and the presents !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm sayang lah jugak hahaha. Of course I enjoyed my birthday and the presents!!! Thank you so much for making it happen hun!! Love you too muah muah :*

      Delete
  2. Happy belated bufday sheera :) God bless you always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sam! Aminnnn. Hope you're well!

      Delete