Tuesday, 28 June 2016

Aktiviti Musim Panas



Currently sweating under one layer of clothing and trying to hide the very visible sweat stains on my armpits.





This could only mean one thing.





Yup, confirm.com.my, I'm definitely home, home as in Malaysia. Tanah tumpahnya darahku.

It's been two weeks since my touchdown. Other than being completely disoriented under the jetlag spell for the first week, I've just been spending a lot of time with my favourite people. Nothing too interesting that I think is worth blogging about. Hence, the lack of posts.

If you've followed me on Twitter since Summer 2015, you might have come across my 'aktiviti musim panas' tweets all throughout my summer break that year. Those tweets were basically snippets of some of the more out of ordinary summer days, like that time I went for a roadtrip to Malacca with my family, and the day my friends and I went on a hunt for some good seafood lovin' at Pantai Remis, and the badminton games with the gang, etc. But I came to realise that I never wrote about the mundane days, the days of humdrum and being indoors and doing things ad nauseam, so I thought in this post I'd include those slightly less fancy things as well, just because.

So here we go, aktiviti musim panas (Summer activities) 2016.

I went to bazaar ramadan a few times. The first thing my tummy asked for was otak-otak, but I couldn't find it. My heart shattered as I walked from one stall to another only to see what, roti john, murtabak, nasi ayam, but no otak-otak in sight. I grew more and more irritated with each stall because isn't otak-otak like one of the syarat sah for a bazaar ramadan? It's not a bazaar ramadan if there's no otak-otak!!! Luckily my brother was a kind soul that day (other days he's annoying), he went to another bazaar and bought 10 otak-otak. I downed 7 in one go, and that was all I ate for iftar that day. Otak-otak was all I needed.

I've been doing domestic things around the house. I do the laundry. I sweep the floor. I clean my room. I try to do all of the dishes to make up for the fact that I don't cook in Malaysia. You might think, eh this girl, in London can cook, why in Malaysia cannot cook one? Dasar hipokrit, talam lima belas muka. Hahaha. I mean, that's not a completely baseless thought. In fact, your thoughts might mirror those of Mama's, Mama always prompts me to cook but every single time, I'd find a way to dodge her request. You need to understand, in London I cook because it's a necessary step to ensure my continuity of survival aka to stay alive, and I admit that I can cook, but that doesn't mean I'm good at it. Here in Malaysia, I feel like there's an unspoken kind of pressure about cooking for my own family. That Mama is one terrific cook doesn't help either, she sets the bar way too high and in a way, I feel like I ought to be at least half as good as her. Ke mana tumpahnya kuah kalau tak ke mulut kan. Ironically, though, I get scared of falling short of her & my own expectations of my cooking. So I cower in fear, with all these expectation clouds hovering densely above me, instead of rising to the challenge. In my case the kuah spills all over the table and creates a huge mess. We'll see how it goes, maybe one fine day I will find the courage to cook something for my family, but that one fine day is not today. Hehe.

I've also been seeing my best friends Amie & Almira almost every day, on some days I even see them 2-3 times in the same day. It's crazy how we cling onto each other as though we've always been doing it, as though the 9 months that I was away never actually happened hahaha. But I guess that's the kind of normalcy for me with them, we try to do everything together since we're literally just a 5-minute drive away from each other. We performed terawih prayers at the same surau, we went to the mall together, we moreh together, we crashed Amie's place to watch her bake raya cookies. We're basically inseparable, and I love that hehe.












And the other day we had moreh with a fraction of the gang - gang here refers to a group of my high school (lower form) friends who I've considered like the family that I get to choose, friends who I can tease and will tease me back and we go back & forth that way, sometimes it feels somewhat like a competition to see who teases better haha. I have yet to meet the whole gang because they always have some other competing needs that are more imperative than their need to see me >:( , so the quorum wasn't complete, yet. But it's okay, I'll take what I can get hehe.







I helped Mama & my aunt bake some raya cookies also!












I dragged my lazy arse and hustled my way to KL one day, and see, I've never been particularly fond of KL frankly speaking, but it was worth it, because I got to see Atika!!!! We went to the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, the one near Masjid Negara, and it was amazing. We were in awe throughout our whole time there to see how well the Islamic arts & scriptures were preserved. And to see the diversity in the arts as they come from different parts of the world. It reminded me of something, and that is, Islam was never about uniformity. But Islam celebrates the melange of our differences, in unity.

What an experience to visit the museum!!

But most importantly, Atika & I, we got to see each other, and it didn't actually matter where, as long as we're together we're good. Half of the time we're just jinx-twist-snap-ing each other and making bad puns but hey, that's my definition of having a good time hehe.












Summer also means I'm back to my Kakak Sheera duties. This time around, my duties commenced even before I set my foot in Malaysia. The call of duty beckoned me forth when I had a 9-hour transit in Doha, Qatar to see my uncle and his family, which includes Danish & Dayyan, the Double Trouble.










The scope of my Kakak Sheera duties includes helping the kids assemble the dinasour skeleton toy that I bought for them (and attempting to abate their frustration afterwards because I couldn't do it. That thing is so difficult even with instructions!!! Hahaha. Note to self : buy easy toys to avoid making a complete fool out of self in the future).

I thought that was a pain, but after reaching Malaysia the pain was only brought to greater intensities.

If you follow me on Instagram you'd know I spent one night playing this game called Freeze with Aqil, Fahim, and Arisha. What you don't know is that they made me play the game 7 times that night. And we also played hide and seek 4 times.

The other morning after Subuh prayer, Aqil came to me with shiny eyes asking for my permission to use my handphone. How do I say no to this little boy?! That's the thing, I don't. So I gave him my phone. And I spent a good 30 minutes listening to his stories about school, and some Arabic words he learnt at school, and cars. Cars. That boy loves cars. So he went on googling his favourite cars, and I knew NOTHING about the cars that he was showing me. And it wasn't even gibberish talk, he was telling me about horse power whatsoever, and it sounded legitimate, albeit rather alien to my ears. I kept listening to what that 8-year-old boy had to say. I love it when he's in the zone and his words come out like bullet train while he tries to simultaneously form coherent words for his age and get as much content in his head out in the open as soon as possible, lest he forgets what he wants to say. For all I know, he may have just bullshit-ed his way about the horse power stuff but I was fascinated. Kids and their boundless dreams & vehement passion. I love it, I love being a Kakak Sheera for the little ones in the family.

My History that morning. Bear in mind that Aqil typed everything himself




I had iftar with my MRSM friends!!!









I went back to my hometown one weekend to see Atuk & Nenek!! Hehehe. Atuk was ecstatic when I gave him a tshirt that boasts large block letters spelling LONDON! It was so cute to see his reaction which lasted for like 5 minutes before he retreated for his afternoon nap haha. Nenek made me sit next to her so I could put in the thread into the hole of the needle for her sewing machine, because she's too lazy to put on her glasses and do it herself. And I was more than glad to just sit there next to her & the chugging sewing machine. Honestly, family time is always a good time to me, be it just one quiet afternoon when Atuk is napping and Nenek sewing.















If you're wondering why the photos are a bit more HD.... Well. Hehehe.

I saved the best bit for the last.





My Zorro came back to life!!!! Remember I wrote about how it just died on me while I was hiking? It did!! It died!!! But now that it's in Malaysia, it just... Somehow... Nonchalantly came back to life.

I was dumbfounded when Ayah tried to turn it on and it just did, it turned on, just like that. And then Ayah started questioning me if the camera was even broken in the first place. I had a hard time convincing Ayah that it really was broken! Omg felt like I was being trolled by an inanimate object there for a second but never mind, Zorro is alive now. Zorro came back.

Bukan EXO je yang buat comeback k, Zorro pun. Hehe.

The past two weeks have been lovely, exactly how I want my summer break to be. How has your summer break been??

Oh and it's the last 10 days of Ramadan! I'm so thankful that I made it to the last leg of this magical month, now I'm just hoping that all of us will make it all the way through till the end. I hope Allah bestows upon us the strength to remain steadfast in search of His blessings. I want to come out of Ramadan not just losing kilograms, but also my greed, my envy, my resentment. Hope you achieve whatever your Ramadan goals are! Take care everyone!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment